Basic Soay Sheep Lamb Loaf
Your mom's meatloaf recipe with cumin substituted for red pepper
flakes and ketchup
- 1 pound ground Soay or other lean, mild-flavored ground lamb
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper (I pulsed it in a mini-processor, quite runny but worked)
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp (at least) Tabasco sauce
- 1 Tblsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix everything together, preferably with your hands.
- Pack mixture into a medium sized loaf pan. Smooth the top.
- If desired, top with very thinly sliced onions and then spray them with olive
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes in its pan.